Stay safe; stay well.
Hi, thank you for visiting Approach Wellness. Please DO NOT rely on our website or any health and wellness blog for personal medical decisions, especially concerning the novel coronavirus. Always consider authoritative primary sources for guidance and consult with a physician and follow local protocol if you do not feel well. COVID-19 is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation. Visit our coronavirus page for links to the latest information and research.
Liver Functions - What does the liver do?
The liver is a master at multitasking. But many of us do not know even the basic liver functions. Let's take a look at what the liver does for us.
The liver is our largest internal organ - about the size of an American football! And weighing in at around 3-3.5 pounds (about 1.5 kg).
And when the liver is working properly, it keeps many of our body's systems in balance.
Here are some of the things the liver does for us:
- filters and purifies the blood
- manufactures over 10,000 different kinds of enzymes
- produces bile that is required for the digestion of fats
- produces cholesterol, which is needed to build and maintain cell membranes
- stores vitamin A, vitamin B12, folate, vitamin D and vitamin K, iron, and copper
- stores glucose and releases it when we need energy
- produces coagulation factors that help our blood clot to stop bleeding
- breaks down excess insulin, estrogen, and other hormones
- regulates our blood sugar
- recycles old red blood cells
- breaks down harmful substances
- removes bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites from the bloodstream
- and MORE!
The liver is a vital organ and we cannot survive without it. Liver dysfunction is an all too common condition resulting in poor health and a weakened immune system.
Read more - liver cleanse benefits, sluggish liver symptoms, liver cleansing methods
More about natural body detox:
Skin Detox | Lung Cleanse | Kidney Cleanse
Liver Detox | Natural Colon Cleansing
Health and Wellness Home - Natural Body Detox
- Liver Functions